View Single Post
Old 17 Dec 2012, 08:50 PM   #54
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Millions consider themselves to be artists these days but real artists (artists with talent) are still few and far between, imho
While sadly enough this is true, there are two nuances:

a) art is not competitive, because there is no criteria to determine good from bad. It's all a matter of personal taste. I love Middle Eastern music and noise rock, not a very usual combination and one where (especially for noise rock) I am aware many people would find it alienating. Some others love hiphop or dance music where (KLF as a notable exception) I do not have interest in. The nice aspect of art: neither opinion is right and neither is wrong, there are different tastes and no absolute truths. This is why art should not be competitive. Tastes vary and that is one of the nice aspects of art.

b) Whether my own writings are truly art or not, I will leave this to the people in the crowd who attend my performances. It's not up to me to make a judgement, I can only do my very best and hope the audience will like it, but in the end it's not up to me but to whoever visits my performances to make the judgement.
However, as one writing (again I won't tag myself as a good or bad writer since that's up to the audience) I can only say I am glad to see people at least try to make arts. Whenever I see a new person visiting poetry festivals, I am glad to see that my prefered form of art is still appreciated and still attracts new followers. Whether their writings are good or not is again left to the opinion of the audience, but I am thankful to see people still are motivated to create something artistic and really try their best to accomplish something. That should be encouraged.

That said, regardless if the artist has a small underground following or a huge mainstream fanbase, the "obligation" to use social media to promote new releases or performances is identical. Both famous artists and new artists, both mainstream and alternative, have plenty of other options, so nobody in the artistic circuit should think that they will be ignored overall if they choose not to use Twitter, MySpace, Facebook etc...
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote