View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 2019, 04:29 AM   #21
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
One further approach, very tricky these days for most people, is to host your own mail server. Security and spam issues may make this time consuming.
Very true. Its not for the faint of heart of course! I tried it a long time ago, and I remember looking at the server's firewall and email logs one morning because the server was kind of laggy, and it scared the living daylights out of me. The server was under intense bombardment and hacking attempts, and it wasn't just that morning... it had been going on for a while. Miraculously, I never got hacked (that I know of), but it sure stressed me out. The IP addresses were from all over the world... I was pretty amazed. The most intense attempts I believe were from Russia and China... and I figured whoever was trying to take over the server knew a lot more about security than I did, and it would only be a matter of time before I was toast. So I subsequently decided to outsource my email. :-)

It definitely is a viable option though... there is good documentation out there (including in this forum!) on how to set up and secure an email server, and with careful security/patch maintenance and monitoring at a really good hosting provider, it could work. I very much respect any brave soul who ventures into email hosting...
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote