View Single Post
Old 24 Nov 2010, 09:14 AM   #46
rickdej

Optimizing the "get your own domain" solution

Count me in as another frustrated, long time Emailias user with hundreds of aliases who got no warning of the impending shutdown. It was only dumb luck that, after the multiple short-term technical glitches I experienced with Emailias earlier this year, I decided to download my email list about six weeks before the service died.

I decided to create my own email domain as a safer, long-term solution (albeit one that has much more administrative overhead to manage). The logistics of making this work like Emailias did, however, is not obvious to me. Allow me to explain what I’ve done, and if any of you email experts have some optimization suggestions for me (even if it is a complete redo of my work so far), please tell me.

I used Emailias to create a unique email address for every business/organization I deal with. This way if one email address was sold or compromised, I could not only shut it down without affecting my other accounts, I could see who sold it (or who used inadequate security policies to guard my contact data). To replicate that experience for me and my contacts, I found a good, short domain name and bought it. I then began recreating all of the email addresses for businesses and orgs whom I deal with/buy from/subscribe to.

I quickly realized the issue of how to deal with inbound mail from hundreds of accounts was daunting. I could either create hundreds of email accounts in Outlook, but that was inconvenient to say the least, and made using webmail useless (I’d have to check too many individual accounts to see what’s come in). To resolve this, I went with auto-forwarding. All of my mails received from businesses and orgs are forwarded to one aggregator email account. I set up Outlook (and use webmail) to access that account to monitor my inbound business email.

What this means, administratively, is that every time I create a new “emailias”-type address, I need to log into my email server control panel, create an email account, and then create an auto-forwarder for that new account to the aggregator email account.

Then there’s the problem of replies. When I reply to a message forwarded to the aggregator account, the reply email address is different than the original, individualized one. That can be confusing to some, and worse yet, they might change the official address they use to respond to me (or at a minimum, add that aggregator address to their email database). As a result, I am potentially exposed to losing control of that aggregator account to spammers. And as this system of mine grows, if I was forced to change the aggregator account due to spam, I’d have to go into each forwarder on my email service’s control panel to change it – hundreds of them.

All of this work (at least the initial set up) is making me question whether this work flow is the best solution, or wonder if I am missing something that I could do to tighten up the administrative overhead/security of all this. I am hoping that the gurus out there might advise me on a better way to manage this. Any thoughts?

Rick
rickdej is offline   Reply With Quote