View Single Post
Old 8 Dec 2019, 08:18 PM   #31
PON
Essential Contributor

> Google will allow Google contacts to be downloaded but not synced on the phone.

I should have explained that it was a result of her phone being set up differently from her previous one (a Samsung), with her own non-Google email address used as the key identifier when setting up a Huawei account. Phone shop just asked a few questions and said "this Huawei app will transfer all your info", which it did, almost perfectly. But she ended up with a new Google account linked to her personal email.

I had no idea this had happened as all the contacts were there and the calendar worked as before. She ended up with everything apparently working but contacts were from an old gmail account, email from Fastmail, calendar from new Google account with no gmail account (not really wanted for email in any case).

Her Thunderbird and phone contacts have been out of sync for a while and I didn't get to the bottom of it until I managed to get a hold of the phone for long enough yesterday (it's used for 2FA with the new Google account).

I think others have run into this, see eg

https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...-contacts.html

At first I thought it was something to do with Huawei -- there's been enough confusion about this -- but it seems to be the case that your contacts will not sync unless you have a Google email address (but the calendar does sync). It's possible the issue is fixable by setting up another gmail account. However, Google's CardDAV sync is non-standard and loses data that other CardDAV implementations will sync.

That wouldn't matter immediately but, if TBsync and Cardbook do end up working together as agreed, this pitfall will end up having been useful in nudging us in the right direction.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote