View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2019, 10:42 AM   #7
jd2066

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Why not just forward the email from Fastmail or wherever to your local server-based email? I have found forwarding to be faster than IMAP in most cases with other services.
I tried that once but as my server is on a network with a dynamic IP address and sometimes it can be down for a couple days, forwarding is just not that reliable.
The email server doing the forwarding will usually give up after a certain amount of tries and then I don't get the email at all.
Using IMAP fetch is much better as it's my server asking the email server for email instead of the email server assumed that my server is always available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Does the server have a static IP? If not, NAT will forget about idle connections.
The server has a static internal IP address, the external IP address is shared between all devices including the server via an ASUS router that uses NAT routing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
All email clients deal with connection reset, so getmail has to also. The IMAP IDLE spec says the server can hang up after 29 minutes.
True, I'll have to check but I think the main getmail developers didn't want to bother handling that because they don't care to have proper IMAP Idle support due to the limitations of IMAP Idle.
As getmail is an open source project, someone can and did add IMAP Idle support but I don't think the main developers of getmail really care for the feature at all so they don't intend on improving the feature.
jd2066 is offline   Reply With Quote