View Single Post
Old 16 Jul 2017, 01:37 PM   #14
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow User unknown alias rejection & alias sorting

Quote:
Originally Posted by camner View Post
Excellent suggestion! My only question is this...a long time ago on these boards I remember reading that using the "reject" command with Sieve was undesirable because when the system sent back the message, it used the FM main username as the "From" address (or something like that...it was a long time ago!), so it was better simply to use "discard." Do I presume correctly that this new system takes care of that weakness?
The method I described blocks at the SMTP stage, before the message is accepted. This is completely different than a sieve reject action after a message has been received. I just double-checked this by sending an email from a Gmail account to my personal domain blocked alias. The response at the Gmail account was as I described earlier (and shown below). The fastmail-owned domain I log into was nowhere in the raw message contents. This is exactly the response to any other email address which does not exist.
Code:
The response from the remote server was:
 550 5.1.1 <aa@mydomain.xxx>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table 
Quote:
Originally Posted by camner View Post
...My only hesitation is that with about 50 (so far!) addresses to deal with, my Sieve script allows me to put them in alphabetical order, and it looks as if on the Alias screen the email addresses are in newest to oldest order, which makes it a bit tedious to find a particular address.
That is not true. The Aliases screen sorts all entries first by the domain (alphabetically), then by alias local part (alphabetically). So this would be an example of the alias display:
  • a @ fastmail.com
  • m @ fastmail.com
  • p @ fastmail.fm
  • z @ fastmail.fm
  • c @ imap.cc
  • j @ imap.cc
  • b @ mydomain
  • c @ mydomain
  • d @ mydomain
  • e @ mydomain
  • a @ warpmail.net
  • b @ warpmail.net
There is also a Search Aliases tool at the upper right. You can search for:
  • The complete email address
  • The local part (before @)
  • The domain (after @)
  • The high level domain (.com, .net, .cc)
  • The deliver to (target) address
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote