View Single Post
Old 21 Jun 2023, 06:57 PM   #7
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMind View Post
LOL !!

I have FOUR paid Fastmail accounts and tech support is for all intents and purposes NON-EXISTENT.
Yeah, it's sad. And yet they now employ people whose only job seems to be to write marketing guff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMind View Post
Does any email host actually respect its customers? I have never found one. It is either no answer or a derisive "I am not going to waste my time answering your question, mate.
Half my emails go to Fastmail, but the other half go elsewhere, to a London based ISP who've long had a solid technical grounding.

I pay them just for an email account & to host a couple of domains for me, and use a different company for my internet connection, which is possibly unusual. I became a customer of theirs in 2003 or a little earlier, I think (I've deleted my old notes but found "2003" literals in some backed-up config files.)

Their technical support is still good. I would totally expect them to do things like dig info out of their server logs for me, and to be willing to discuss why their systems behaved in a particular way.

A while back I had timeouts refreshing the view in their webmail client (which is Roundcube and I don't think all that many of their customers use it), caused in part by me having hundreds of folders. They did look into this, considered (or actually did - I can't remember & don't want to trawl though the emails about it - changing the backend database they used to make it faster and/or changing the server it ran on) and also installed a newer version of the webmail server application. It took a while ... but they did do it ... and they were polite and professional and kept me informed throughout. I do remember that when they were testing the new software versions they gave me access to those as well as their normal production server.

I can't remember how I found out about them, but I used to be a keen user of usenet, and they used newsgroup: uk.net.providers.aaisp to host discussions of their services. Nowadays that's only used for status messages, I think. They also have an IRC channel and although I rarely use it it's possible to alert staff to problems there instantly (during normal working hours) and see if any other customers also have problems. Weekend support is a little slower but not non-existent.

The company concerned is Andrews & Arnold - https://www.aa.net.uk/

It's not cheap, though for peace of mind etc (having an alternative to FM) I think it's worth it.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote