View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2018, 11:58 PM   #5
artmanphoto

Hi Jacinto -

There are actually two types of email accounts - IMAP and POP3. IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol and POP3 stands for Post Office Protocol version 3.

IMAP is considered the more modern account to use especially if you have your email on multiple devices i.e. a computer, iPad and smartphone. With IMAP the email messages are stored on the Gmail, Yahoo, etc. server not on each device. The email message appears on each device and and when you delete the message on one device it is deleted on all of your devices because the message was stored on the email provider's server.

POP3 stores the email messages on each one of your devices, not on the email provider's server. If you delete a message on your computer it still appears on your iPad and smartphone, etc. If you have email setup on 3 devices and you want to delete the email message you must delete it in your email package on each of the devices.

I use IMAP because I have my email client software installed on my computer, iPhone and iPad. When I delete a message on one device it is removed from all the other devices because the message is stored on the Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. mail server.

I hope this answers your questions.

Bill
artmanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote