View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2015, 05:58 AM   #6
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboy View Post
Nothing is forever except a mother's love. .
Even that isn't Always the case, sadly enough, but anyways, that's offtopic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboy View Post
A more important question would be: "Are there any email services that will never close? ".

Your best bet would be the big players like gmail, hotmail, and yahoo.

I don't know what zoho's policy is but I had accounts I never signed into for a couple years and they were still intact. Zoho is a decent service actually.
Indeed, the big players like Gmail, Yahoo and Outlook/Hotmail are the least likely to go out of business. Sadly enough this means relying on a big provider is sometimes better than trying very noble smaller providers where it's uncertain how long they'll manage to stay around.

More locally orientated services that have a very strong reach within their own community are also unlikely to cease operations (mail.ru for example is so big in Russia that they're as likely to stay around as Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail)

Of course, "nothing ever lasts forever" as Echo & The Bunnymen sing. No empire has lasted forever.
We can more or less say that the big players are likely to stay around as long as the internet in its current form exists. But with technology ever evolving, it is quite hard to predict how the internet will change in the next years, let alone the next decades. So even when talking about Hotmail or Gmail, we may not be talking about "forever" but about "as long as the internet exists as we know it"

When it comes to inactivity limits ... Several services have a 1 year inactivity limit, even some free ones. So logging in to your account 1x in a year is sufficient to keep your account alive. I think this cannot be such an impossible task that it's worth worrying about By this I don't mean your question is not legitimate, I would for example not sign up for a service with an inactivity limit of just 1 or 2 months.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote