View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2021, 01:09 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Is it wise to buy webhosting and domains with the same company?

On Reddit, a few people noted that it is unwise to use 1 company for domain registration, webhosting and email. The "don't put your eggs in one basket" theory. They say that using a different company for each of the services, you can avoid a lot of problems: if one company has technical issues, only one service (domainname, website or email) will be affected while the other services will continue to work.

What are your opinions on this?

I am doubting about this one. I already purchased domains for the websites I want to start working on, and my domain registrar has an attractive offer: Wordpress hosting with unlimited storage for just 25$ per year. That's very attractive, but of course I'd be having my domains and sites with one company.

I could in theory search for a different web host, but then most web hosts offer a domain name included in the package, so I'd have two domains for the same website then. And even if I'd pick a host without domain included (which is fine as I already purchased the domains) I'd probably be paying more than the 25$ for unlimited storage that my domain registrar offers.

So how wise or unwise is it really to have different services with the same company?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote