View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2019, 07:15 PM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
Thank you, it sounds complicated...
It's not.

It avoids having to use FTP or anything else to upload new information to a website, by keeping the information in files stored in my Dropbox folder ... so all the upload/download/syncing between devices happens invisibly/ automatically. (And if you do use the FTP method, you still need to edit the files you are about to upload, first.)

It avoids installing somebody-else's bookmark-manager program, which might not run in exactly the same way on every platform, and means one does not have to cope with bugs in such a program maybe losing or corrupting your data.

It avoids installing extensions to browsers, which might not work the same way in every browser.

Yes, I have several lists of bookmarks rather than just one - but I decided I didn't want one huge long list that had to be scrolled to the right section. Using different lists means each one never has to be scrolled (at least, not on a decent-sized laptop screen - I expect it would be necessary on a smartphone).

Yes, I have a weird way of opening a file in an editor; but you could just as easily have a desktop shortcut that opens a bookmarks file in your editor.

You need to comfortable with pasteing a new URL and the description you want to use for it into a file, surrounded by a very small amount of HTML. Once you have a template for that file, adding another line is not difficult.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote