View Single Post
Old 2 Feb 2021, 02:01 AM   #9
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Unless Zoho recently launched a new service I haven't heard about yet and also changed owners and jurisdictions and rewrote their privacy policy, then Zoho mail is *not* in the same niche of products as Tutanota and ProtonMail, in terms of privacy, security, encryption, and jurisdiction, so make sure to understand the differences of what the services *actually* provide. Marketing copy makes it seem that Zoho does more than it really does in those areas. I would personally not use Zoho due to their privacy policy and jurisdiction alone for this kind of service, but again, that's a personal preference, and I have nothing against them. Zoho mail has tons of features, a good interface (IMO), a massive ecosystem of additional services, and is a valid direct alternative to the "monopolistic" mega-sized email providers. Just not in the class of highly-secure services with strong privacy policies (as opposed to good marketing copy).

And seriously, just go read their privacy policies. Zoho's privacy policy is a giant piece of well-written swiss cheese crafted by an army of expensive marketing-oriented lawyers compared to Tutanota's and ProtonMail's policies. I always find retention policies particularly revealing. Spend some time in their privacy policies and you'll get a real eye opener. Ultimately, it may not matter to you though, and you might be fine with those kinds of policies. I only bring this up because you mentioned the three services together, and that's like comparing a Granny Smith Apple vs. a Red Delicious Apple vs. a Navel Orange. Guess which one is which? (Sorry for the various food metaphors, fruit, cheese references...)

If you are truly looking for a ProtonMail and Tutanota kind of service, (again, don't be lured by marketing copy -- just figure out what you truly need), there are several other options to consider too, of varying degrees of features and policies, yet I'd still consider them "apples vs apples" in the same class. Of the ones I've tried and/or currently have a subscription with, there are also Posteo, Mailfence, and Mailbox.org to look at. I've tried several others in that general class, but my personal opinion is that those five are solid ones to look at -- ProtonMail, Tutanota, Posteo, Mailfence, and Mailbox.org, each for subtly different reasons, various pros and cons for each. There are other good providers in that "family" I could mention, but those five are a good place to start where I've had the best luck overall, current as of February 2021.

One comment on Tutanota, you might find some old post of mine with criticism and praise back and forth on Tutanota. I've had some ups and downs with them. I had been a big fan of their service (and subscriber) until there was a massive series of DoS and similar attacks against them recently, and I really didn't like the way they handled the situation, they just didn't seem to have the depth of experience and public relations that the ProtonMail team had, IMO, from my external observations only. I think things have calmed down comparatively with Tutanota now and they weathered a big storm, where I'd consider them once again.

Also quick comment on ProtonMail, I am personally not a big fan of some of the business decisions that ProtonMail has made in the past, but that's mainly philosophical, and so leaving that aside, I think their product is definitely worth serious consideration for those who need that kind of encrypted service. Their track record has been pretty solid overall, especially in light of what happened recently with Tutanota.

Another service I like, but don't consider part of the list above, is Kolab Now, but they are missing some security features that are included in ProtonMail and Tutanota, for example. However, I really like Kolab Now's privacy policy and jurisdiction, and their general vibe. They are not quite "apples" though -- some other kind of "hybrid fruit" in my book.

Lastly, I have to mention Hushmail. It shows up on a lot of people's lists of similar services, but I don't consider them part of the "apples" list for these kinds of services. Their privacy policy, jurisdiction, and closed-source approach combine in my book in a way I think is inferior to the other services mentioned, so I tend to recommend those other services first. However, if you don't mind those issues (and some historical controversy BTW), then Hushmail could be a contender. Plenty of people love and trust them, and they might be fine for you. I know doctors and lawyers who trust them every day with very sensitive information. But frankly if you are okay with their kinds of issues, I'd rather point you in the direction of Luxsci instead, which has similar jurisdiction and overlapping features with Hushmail in many key areas, but has *stellar* customer service. But then we're getting into a different kind of product or "fruit", definitely not an apple...

Good luck, and remember that there really isn't anything that is "free" -- so if you are willing to spend money, you'll find some good options above, and I'm sure some other folks here will chime in with good suggestions too! IMO it's worth spending time doing the research!

PS.: Re: @TenFour's comments, have to agree that if the security features, privacy policies, jurisdiction, etc., are actually not an issue to you, then Fastmail is definitely a contender, but again that's an apples vs. oranges discussion, and like TenFour implied, a whole different discussion about privacy in general. Maybe the OP is truly looking for oranges instead of apples? I do like Fastmail, I'm a long-time subscriber, but it's definitely not in the same family as ProtonMail and Tutanota, etc.. And on the other hand, nor can they match some of the features that Fastmail has. But if we're talking Fastmail, then we're opening up a whole different list of providers.

Cheers!

Last edited by ioneja : 2 Feb 2021 at 02:43 AM.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote