View Single Post
Old 29 Aug 2016, 06:57 PM   #18
marshsparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Fastmail have always made you pay through the nose (if you want to host your own domain name for email) - now they are making you pay even more; fifty dollars a year, versus forty dollars a year - is a ludicrous amount of money to pay.......
I don't know if this is a serious comment or not, but previously a Family plan + single Lite account allowed own domain name for $15. I agree that that is cheap and could have stood a price increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I have been paying about $39 US for an enhanced account for the last 13 or 14 years years, so I would think in the near future they will go up in line with inflation.
You can renew for 5 years and get a discount....and you will be locked into that plan.
Perhaps the prices should have been increased incrementally over the years, I don't know – maybe we would have been up to the current rates by now.

A Family plan can only be renewed for one year at a time, so no discount (not unreasonable, given the low cost) and no long-term lock-in.

As for the rest of the Fastmail 'added-value' features, I have ownCloud on my shared hosting account, so no need for [Web|Cal|Card]DAV, nor web space and I have 250 GB of file storage. The attraction of Fastmail, for me, was always the notion of 'email, done right' – a single core service, very well done.
marshsparks is offline   Reply With Quote