camner
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
No, that's not what I meant.
  • Go to the Settings>Aliases screen.
  • Click New Alias at the top.
  • Enter a new email address at your domain, such as sp @ yourdomain
  • Removing the Deliver to address will not prevent messages sent to that alias from being delivered to your account.
  • But you can choose a Restrict senders policy of "Reject (bounce) all mail sent to this address (disable the alias)".
  • Click Save at the top to save and exit. Click Settings>Mail to go back to your message list.
If you have a wildcard delivery alias set up for your domain, the steps above will disable a single alias at your account. You can repeat these steps to block other aliases which are being used by spammers. The sending server will not be able to complete the connection to the Fastmail incoming server, since during the initial portion of the connection the destination email address is specified, and the Fastmail incoming server will reject the connection with this SMTP error code:
Code:
550 5.1.1 <sp@example.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
This is the best possible way to disable that alias, since the sending system is told that the mailbox does not exist.

Bill
Excellent suggestion! My only question is this...a long time ago on these boards I remember reading that using the "reject" command with Sieve was undesirable because when the system sent back the message, it used the FM main username as the "From" address (or something like that...it was a long time ago!), so it was better simply to use "discard." Do I presume correctly that this new system takes care of that weakness?

My only hesitation is that with about 50 (so far!) addresses to deal with, my Sieve script allows me to put them in alphabetical order, and it looks as if on the Alias screen the email addresses are in newest to oldest order, which makes it a bit tedious to find a particular address.
camner is offline   Reply With Quote