View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2018, 06:55 AM   #32
jdmc

Thumbs down Switching to new FM server names in Apple Mail.app was a nightmare

A couple of weeks ago I thought, hey, might as well update to those new "____.fastmail.com" server names from the old "____.messagingengine.com" ones. The result? Instant chaos!!

Even after I laboriously hunted down, identified, and corrected for the app-password-is-now-required problem and the inbox-prefix-is-now-blank problem, Mail.app still couldn't figure everything out. In my multiple levels of nested mail folders and sub-sub-folders, some appeared to make it thru the transition unscathed, while others refused to show any messages whatsoever, even though I could see hundreds of messages inside them when viewing my account via the Web interface. I repeatedly tried using the "Rebuild" command in Mail.app, but to no avail. I ended up having to basically nuke my entire 12+ GB local mail store (in ~/Library/Mail) and completely start over. And let me tell you, it took a pretty good while to re-download twelve gigabytes of mail and attachments.

Good grief, what a HUGE pain in the @ this has been!! Oh, how I wish I'd never flucked around with those infernal server names. MAJOR customer-experience fail.

Signed,
-- Loyal FastMail user since 2002

P.S. - And it's still not over... now I can't get Mail.app to accept the new SMTP server settings. I enter them and save changes, and two seconds later Mail.app marks it as "Offline" and renders it unusable. Super exasperating.

Last edited by jdmc : 18 Feb 2018 at 07:09 AM.
jdmc is offline   Reply With Quote