View Single Post
Old 12 Nov 2008, 08:59 PM   #181
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
...Oddly, if you search the index for me, you would have to know that Lane is my middle name (just no street attached). ...
The name of my street is "Lane". This sometimes gets morphed by addressing software from "1xxx Lane Street" to "1xxx Ln", which makes it appear that the main street name is missing. And "Bill" is the nickname for my middle name (William). By dad was John Frank (lastname) and I was named John William (lastname) ... so since my dad was John or Johnny I was called Bill (from William). Not too unusual, in my opinion, but when someone only has my legal first and last name they wonder why "John" is called "Bill".

We have so many identifying codes associated with ourselves (or our property) these days. Due to a storm, my house lost electric power service yesterday. I found that there is a 17-digit ESI (Electric Service Identifier) and an 11-character Meter Number associated with the electric distribution, as well as a 7-character Account Number associated with the energy supplier (which in Texas can be different from the distribution provider -- my energy comes all from wind, solar, and hydroelectric sources). The repair service can use your 10-digit home phone number to look up these details in their database. I use a program on my PDA/cellphone to keep track of the many dozens of account numbers and passwords attributed to me.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote