View Single Post
Old 13 May 2019, 12:44 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

My own view is that FastMail has improved in certain respects and regressed in others over the last few years.

On the plus side, the service is now very robust. With the exception of occasional issues with spam filtering (that I think all mail services suffer) FastMail is very reliable. FastMail remains fast.

On functionality, there is no longer a focus on power users, but there have been changes in areas like calendars that are apparently much appreciated by many regular users. I think FastMail has now decided (rightly from their point of view) that changes to the user interface, except where the benefits are extremely evident, are a bad idea. Many users detest change, and will never see the benefit of incremental improvements.

FastMail support remains patchy. Routine support requests are usually handled quickly, but any issue that must be escalated is liable to fester for days, weeks or months.

What I most regret is that FastMail no longer sees any value in maintaining a dialogue with its users. Since this inevitably means needing to listen to criticism, they find it uncomfortable and avoid it. This has always been somewhat the norm with IT services, but FastMail at one time bucked that trend and was one of the reasons I became a customer.

I see no pressing reasons to move away from FastMail at the current time, but there are alternative services which would meet the needs of most customers if they fancy a change.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote