View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2004, 04:40 PM   #4
jbs
Essential Contributor

Another option is just continue to use your address carefully, trying to avoid spam. If and when your address is ever compromised, then you could switch to an alias, while simultaneously establishing a filter rule which says:

When header contains "Original_User_Name@runbox.com" then move to "Probably Spam" or perhaps then delete.

Others more knowledgeable than me could perhaps reply whether the destination address (in this case your original runbox address) will always be in the headers, or if spammers can spam you without even having that in there. It seems all of the spam I've looked at does have my original destination address in there, even if I was BCC'ed.

The thing to consider is, you'd probably be unlikely to delete an alias entirely, since it's hard to know whether everyone you gave it to has diligently updated their address books. More likely you'd like to keep it open, but check it very rarely. In that case, this approach would probably work very well -- use the main address for now, and switch to an alias only if spam forces you to.

--Jason
jbs is offline   Reply With Quote