View Single Post
Old 2 Nov 2012, 01:56 PM   #8
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

To understand the real issue with the changes to the pre October 29 interface, you need to understand how people who live in email operate. I am talking, here, about very busy business people who spend 30-50% of their time in email dealing with hundreds of emails a day. (You will not meet them here on these forums: they have no time for this.) A reduction in workflow efficiency of 5% costs them real money.

For these people, an interface tailored to their workflow is important. They are looking for something that (among other things) displays the most important information they need to know along with as many messages as possible (consistent with easy readability) without scrollbars. Over a period of years, with the aid of the custom UI, they arrived at something that (while not perfect) allowed them to work with close to full efficiency.

The change in fonts and layout is no big deal for someone (like me) who handles maybe 30 important emails a day. I have not bothered to tailor my own email that much anyway, and, even if I did spend 5% longer dealing with email, this would not be a disaster. However, for really demanding email users, not being able to see as much information on the screen as before is a genuine problem.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote