View Single Post
Old 1 Jul 2017, 05:02 AM   #499
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Having worked on large-scale IT projects for over 20 years, I think the following old EDS ad pretty much describes best what Bron and the team are trying to do here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zqTYgcpfg

The point is that all of this work that FastMail does has to be done while the system is still live and servicing e-mail for tens of thousands of users. It's actually a testament to the FastMail team's engineering abilities that they've been able to do everything they have for as long as they have with downtime that's close enough to zero to be a rounding error.

I don't want to diminish the concerns of those who are losing the classic interface, but I just felt that with all of the negativity rattling around in here, it would be good to also put a positive spin on things and give at last some credit where it's due.
The FastMail team's technical competence was one of the most important factors (though not the number one factor) that brought me to them in the first place. In that respect, I have never been disappointed in 15 years using the service.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote