View Single Post
Old 28 Jun 2002, 07:51 AM   #4
mklose
Cornerstone of the Community

I got three really "nice" peaces of spam today which I wanted to share.

(both German)

The first:

(translated)

---------------------------------------

Thankyou for signing ip for your newsletter. You will now get approximately 90 emails from

- partners
- forum members
- advertisements

If you did not sign up, or wish to be removed from the list, click here:

<link>

-------------------------------------------

OK, so they're gonna send me "lots" of spam every week unless I "opt" out. The link contained no unique ID, so I clicked on it. [Admin: please do not try and circumvent the profanity filter on this forum - thanks!]

Two seconds later I was asked if I trusted bla bla bla to install an "internet connection manager update". required to view the website.

The poor people that clicked yes and did not abort. It is a dialer program that I suppose changes your standard internet connection to dial a "0190" number (in the US: 900 number) which can cost up to several hundred Euros per call and you don't even know it, thinking you're just dialing up your ISP.

the second which is getting on my nerves as I am getting it every day now:

Something about a conspiracy theory that the governments have invented a device which sends out radio signals to manipulate your thoughts. It comes in 3 languages, German is the correct one, all others look like fish translations.

It comes with a lot of links all going to different sites, so I am not sure what the point of this spam is apart from to create panic because they're not selling anything. But in the past few days I have got this one entitled "Entschuldigen Sie die Störung" at least 15 times. It all ends up in the junk folder, but still, I wonder when it will stop.

the third:

"Someone that knows you really wants to meet you but is too shy to tell you that is why they have used our service.

To find out who it is, click on this link and then you can decide if you want to get in the person again or not".

Sounds reasonable, except the spam obligatory numbers and letter mess at the bottom, a high spam value because of forged headers, missing date etc. And the link was already not working (it went to lycos, someone must have already written to the abuse department before me).

I got a spam with a different text but the same forged headers, same format more or less - and this time the link worked. An adult site - again wanting me to download a dialer.

I don't even have a modem connected to any of my windows machines LOL ;-))
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote