View Single Post
Old 22 Apr 2016, 01:43 AM   #11
krimlin
Essential Contributor

Zach, I'm not sure if my point was clear enough.

I tried to make clear why I don't think that these new email services are already developed enough to provide a seamless migration from another account. I named a few aspects that make it hard to continue with the way many people deal with email every day.

Tutanota:
- end-to-end encryption is only activated when you send/receive emails to/from another Tutanota user. It's pretty much pointless to use it, since none of my contacts have accounts there. As soon as my email leaves the Tutanota server, it is as "non private" as with any other email service!
- There is not even a search feature in their webmail interface
- They don't even have a logical way to organize emails. Either the "labels" or the "subfolders" approach would be a minimum standard.

Protonmail:
- the same issue with end-to-end encryption as with Tutanota
- at least they have "labels".... But what if my way of organizing emails is based on folders with 5 or more hierarchies?!

...I don't want to continue with this list here. If people only use email to stay in touch with a few friends, it's alright to move to these services. For everyone else, I don't think they are (yet) able to keep the promises they make or offer the usability people know from their previous accounts.
krimlin is offline   Reply With Quote