View Single Post
Old 3 Mar 2019, 11:48 AM   #6
thisisnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I'm confused by this and other posts in this thread. According to the post below from last year, Lycos initially informed users they were discontinuing free accounts as of May 15, 2018. That's last year, not this year!
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...63&postcount=7

This Lycos help post from May 15 of last year restated the ending date as June 1, 2018:
https://helpdesk.lycos.com/support/s...ee-service-faq

Now (8 months later) a Lycos free email user is complaining about the account termination in June of last year. So either they haven't tried to use their account for 8 months (so I assume that it must not be a very important account) or this is a long-delayed complaint.

The pricing comparison to other services (such as Fastmail) depends on the renewal term:
  • Per month plans (Fastmail is a better deal):
    • Lycos Mail (5 GB mail storage): $4.95 per month
    • Fastmail Basic (2 GB mail storage, 1 GB file storage): $3.00 per month
    • Fastmail Standard (25 GB mail storage, 10 GB file storage): $5.00 per month
  • Per year plans (Lycos Mail is a better deal if you only care about email storage and don't compare other features):
    • Lycos Mail (5 GB mail storage): $19.95 per year
    • Fastmail Basic (2 GB mail storage, 1 GB file storage): $30.00 per year
    • Fastmail Standard (25 GB mail storage, 10 GB file storage): $50.00 per year
Am I misunderstanding the Lycos policy or the posts in this thread? Call me confused.
Since I don't use the lycos account much, I didn't realize it would be deleted. Luckily it was not used as my primary or even secondary email account. It's just a pet peeve of mine when a company provides something for free, then decides it's uneconomical for them to continue or they simply just get greedy just like Fastmail did and decide to charge. Having you own domain is really the only way to not be at the mercy of the email provider. The only people that would even pay for email from lycos would be the unlucky ones that have used it as their primary email for years and must be really angry.
thisisnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote