Thread: App Passwords
View Single Post
Old 16 Jul 2017, 05:19 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Using application passwords

I see some incorrect information posted in this thread. You should read Fastmail help to answer such questions about setting up new clients:
Quote:
Every third party program or app needs its own app password to access your information. For the FastMail app, you need to use your normal password. If you use your normal password or your FastMail two step verification password on an external account, syncing to an external service won't work and you will see a password error.
On January 31, 2017, I asked Fastmail about the migration of old clients to the current system, and this is the reply:
Quote:
So if you use imap.fastmail.com/pop.fastmail.com/smtp.fastmail.com, you have to use an app password. This is what we recommend people use, what we advertise in our docs, and what all the auto-config services *should* use.

If you still use mail.messagingengine.com when you setup your client a while back, you can still use your master password.

The long term aim is:

1. Disable new users from using mail.messagingengine.com altogether (we can't do this just yet, because there's been some problems with iOS auto-config still returning the old mail.messagingengine.com server name), but I hope we can do it soon

2. Bit by bit, direct old users still using mail.messagingengine.com to switch to (imap/pop/smtp).fastmail.com with an app password

3. Eventually (likely years down the track), remove mail.messagingengine.com

Rob
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote