View Single Post
Old 2 Sep 2018, 05:04 PM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

When you save a password, are you doing that by copy&paste from somewhere, or are you retyping what you (think you) typed earlier?

Do you have the same problem with passwords on other websites?

Dos the service concerned have a "forgotten password" option which will email a new password, or reset-code, to you?

You also mention a "password cannot be verified" problem; that might mean that after you've signed-up for something the service has sent you an email telling you to do something... to confirm that the email address really is YOU. Maybe you either haven't received those emails, or you haven't done the action they request? That would mean that the account was never properly setup.

Alternatively some services (eg recently the Scottish Government) send emails with password reset information in them, but only send the info in html (ie they do not send a plain text part of the email as well). I was viewing them 'in plain text'. Apparently the webmail system I was using was presenting some of the information it had automatically extracted from the HTML version of the mail, in upper-case (as an alternative to making it bold). Unfortunately that meant the mixed-case passwords in the 'you forgot your password, here's a new one" emails never shown to be all in capitals, and when I entered them on the website they were always rejected. It took a long time to resolve that because the helpdesk people simply assumed I was an idiot incapable of using the new password they kept sending. It was only when one of them actually believed what I'd told them that they found out what was happening, and fixed it.

Increasingly often companies either don't send plain text at all, or if they do, at some point they change something in the html part of the mail and forget to make the same change in the plain text part. Both parts are meant to contain the same message, but you can't rely on it.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote