View Single Post
Old 5 Aug 2009, 11:32 AM   #7
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
I haven't played with every possible combination of settings..
Now I have, and I just duplicated your issue. I set Thunderbird to:
  • When I delete a message: mark it as deleted
  • about:config setting mail.imap.expunge_after_delete set to false (default)
Gmail advanced IMAP controls labs feature to:
  • Auto-Expunge: Do not automatically expunge messages
  • When a message is expunged from the last visible IMAP folder: Move the message to the Trash
I deleted a message from my Thunderbird inbox that had no other label, it properly appeared with a strikeout showing that it was marked for deletion. Then opened Gmail and it is still in the inbox. Clearly from the wording of the lab that When a message is expunged from the last visible IMAP folder: Move the message to the Trash is not happening. I just tested and it happens when the message has one different label (not the inbox label), so setting Thunderbird to:
  • Clean up ("Expunge") Inbox on exit
won't fix the problem as that does not expunge from other folders (labels).

Setting Thunderbird to:
  • about:config setting mail.imap.expunge_after_delete set to true
does not fix the issue.

Leaving that set, and setting Thunderbird to:
  • When I delete a message: delete it immediately
makes it disappear from the Thunderbird maillist as one would expect, but it still shows up in the inbox or label in Gmail and does not get moved to the trash.

IMO, the labs feature is broken.

Added: A quick browse of the Google Group shows that this has been reported and is an issue when 'All Mail' is set as visible (apparently 'All Mail' is also a label and unless 'All Mail' is hidden, the message being deleted from the inbox or another label does not meet the requirement of last visible label, so the message is not moved to the trash). I use 'All Mail' occasionally, so I would not want to select this combination of settings.

However, I set 'All Mail' to 'hide' and unchecked 'show in IMAP' under settings - labels, and unsubscribed from 'All Mail' in Thunderbird, and set When I delete a message: mark it as deleted, and about:config setting mail.imap.expunge_after_delete set to false (default), restarted both Tbird and Gmail and still cannot get it to work as you want. The messages remain in the Gmail inbox after marking as deleted in Thunderbird. So I believe this labs feature is broken.

Last edited by zhak : 5 Aug 2009 at 12:05 PM.
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote