View Single Post
Old 12 Nov 2021, 09:11 PM   #12
CyberSmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
[...]
Based on this App password thing, it seems that AOL is Yahoo in disguise [...]
I was seeing a page saying that they were both part of Verizon.
Now when logged into AOL, under Options, when I click Terms of Services I am taken to ...
https://legal.yahoo.com/us/en/yahoo/...tos/index.html
Quote:
Yahoo Terms of Service

Exciting news! Our parent company has been acquired by funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, Inc. and its consolidated subsidiaries. Read more in our press release. For now, the way we process your information and the company providing the sites and apps you use remain the same.

In June 2017, we announced that Yahoo and AOL joined to become a unified digital and mobile media company. We are now operating under these unified Yahoo Terms of Service. [...]

I checked my Yahoo account and it appears that I had set up an App Password for "Outlook Desktop". I had only been using my laptop for a few months and I was still trying to get things working. I only have vague memory.
With Yahoo I did receive an email warning me to set up an App Password.
Quote:
Hey Yahoo Member,

Head’s up: As of 20 October 2020, Yahoo Mail will no longer support third-party applications (such as third-party email, calendar, or contact applications) using outdated sign-in methods. That just means if you’re still signing in to your Yahoo account via another email application, like the default email application on your phone, you need to make some quick updates to ensure your mailbox isn’t interrupted.
I didn't receive any warning with my AOL accounts, and the cut-off was almost 11 months later than Yahoo.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote