View Single Post
Old 20 May 2017, 02:28 AM   #364
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

You must be looking at the zipped list (which doesn't allow right-click open). Here is how this works in Windows 10 (earlier versions of Windows will be different, as will other operating systems):
  • If you used the Fastmail archive feature, you received an email which has a link to download the zipped archive. Click that link and you should see a window which allows you to open the zip archive (with Z-Zip File Manager by default) or save the file.
  • Choose Save File. Depending on your browser, you will find the file in the default download folder. In Windows 10 using Firefox you can find the downloaded file in the This PC > Downloads folder. You should see (using File Explorer) that the icon for the file type includes a blue Z. This means it's a zipped file.
  • If you double-click the .zip file you will see a list of the contents (the individual emails). But there isn't a "open with" choice in the 7-Zip file manager.
  • Now that we see what doesn't work, let's use what works. While you are in the Z-Zip file manager viewing the list of messages, select one (or more than one) message and then click the Extract button at the top. Choose a folder and click OK.
  • The messages you selected will now be in the folder you selected. They are stored in .eml file format. You can right-click a file and choose Open with... and pick which viewer you wish. I can choose the following (which depends on what text or email viewers you have installed):
    • Notepad
    • Wordpad
    • Outlook 2016
    • Mail
    • Thunderbird
  • The .eml file format is very simple. It saves the email in the same raw format it was sent in. You will only be able to easily read the message if it was sent in plan text format, and the message body will appear below the message headers (which may be long, expecially if the original message came from an Exchange server). You can read the messages in any email client which supports .eml message format.
Thunderbird is much easier to use, in my opinion. If you tried it before and did not get it set up corrrectly, I recommend removing the old version (after saving any old messages) and reinstalling it fresh from:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

The current version of Thunderbird should be able to automatically set itself up for a Fastmail account, but I'm not going to uninstall mine to test this! Once it's installed correctly and you subscribe to the Fastmail folders, you can set up local folders and move or copy messages to the local folder.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote