Thread: New Interface
View Single Post
Old 4 Dec 2010, 10:38 AM   #1
erimess

Angry New Interface

I already had the following written up before coming on here. I see there's a rather long thread on the new interface. I chose to start a new one because that one goes clear back to 2008 and I suspect much of what is on there is old and irrelevant at this point in time. I don't have time to read that whole thing, so apologies on the length of this or if I'm just repeating junk.
------------------------------

First, I was unaware of anything about a new interface until I got one of the newsletters in August. It linked to a page that was dated February. On that page, there was a comment about waiting 6-12 months to take away the old interface, after seeing how many folks are still using the old one and why.

First, I do not recall ever seeing anything about a new interface coming up and would like to know where this feedback was happening. I do not have time to spend at the forums or at blogs. That's why I get email updates - I even have it set on chatty. But I never saw a thing until August, after it was already a done deal. So if I wasn't hanging out at the blogs, I don't get to have feedback before it's a done deal, even though I'm PAYING for this?

Supposedly there was some notice for two whole weeks on the login screen. You think everyone really reads stuff on the login screen? I log in. I check my email at least once, if not several times, a day. It's just the same screen. Why should I look at it? I just log in like I always do, mostly absent-mindedly. And I'm a person who actually reads things like TOS's so it's not because I ignore everything.

Now it only shows as a preference in my Options, and a preference I never really even noticed was there. I just go where I want to go and do not go looking down the entire list of preferences in case something new appeared that day.

Tried it back in August. Didn't like it. Went back to the old. Just tried it again, cause I forgot why I didn't like it.

First, can't stand having a column of stuff (like all my mailboxes) down the left hand side of the page when I'm reading and composing. I like to read and compose on a full-screen, or a new screen, or at least a new tab. Yes, I like it cutting off at 72 characters, but not having the whole page in front of me makes me feel "squished." It's fine being over there when I'm just looking at a folder list, but not when I'm composing. And I see no way to change it.

Second, cause I don't have all the style sheets. I see some note about if such-and-such junk exists in your file storage... why would that exist in my file storage? I'd have to put it there. I'd have to know about it before I can put it there. I'd have to know where my file storage is. I'd have to know what the heck you're talking about. I have no clue what those files are, how to get them, and how to make them work. The list of style sheets was a simple list to pick from. I'm not internet ignorant but I know nothing about style sheets.

Since when was this email only for those who are major tech-savvy? So to get a style sheet, now we have to know what we're doing? And no, I don't feel like reading the help files so I can use them. In the old interface they are in a nice, easy drop-down box and I can just pick one.

So I stay with what I'm used to, what has worked for me, and what I like. I like changing the styles, or at least having some kind of option other than some basic standard and "concise." One reason I PAY for this email is cause I like having that kind of flexibility of changing the look, without having to take a crash course on style sheets.

And the default text for "text only" setting sucks and is hard to read. And it's not the Arial I set it on. It's some weird thing that looks like an old dot-matrix printer - and this is what it does when I put it on text. And I like it on text cause it's the only way to get the <'s on quoted text. On HTML it has that line down the side that I don't like. I have a friend who purposely got Fastmail just cause her email wouldn't do <'s on quotes.

If this were free, maybe I wouldn't have a lot of room to talk. But have I mentioned yet that I'm paying for this?

Is this related to Opera taking over? One reason I didn't take advantage of a really good three-year offer when I had the chance was cause I wanted to see what direction this was going to go. If you dump that old interface, I'd have to say you're going in a direction I'm not going to like.
erimess is offline   Reply With Quote