View Single Post
Old 26 May 2022, 06:47 AM   #15
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Agreed! But, it is still another thing to keep track of.

I don't bother, most of us only need one domain for email and don't see it as a matter of life and death. In the unlikely event I missed all the warnings, my email would stop, I'd notice and I'd fix the problem. Since my DNS is with the registrar, my expectation is that it would be restored within an hour or so of my noticing. It would be annoying, but only comparable with one of Fastmail's historic outages, not with the loss of a domain.

I use my domain for most things, but I still use a few free addresses. A couple are tied to Android and Windows accounts, I also use a separate gmail account for posting to mailing lists. Part of the reason for this is privacy, I don't want someone I know putting my domain into a search engine and reading everything I've posted (most people here don't use their full real names).

Reusing a distinctive local-part can also potentially leak information about identity when a website is hacked. It wouldn't surprize me if some people who opened dedicated accounts for Ashley Madison got caught out that way.

More generally splitting your email between multiple accounts, without a good reason, sounds like a lot of hassle.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote