View Single Post
Old 23 Jan 2017, 09:49 AM   #12
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
I'm assuming you were using one of the old grandfathered free G Suite packages? Otherwise, the cost of doing this on FastMail isn't going to be any different than paying for it on G Suite.

However, depending on whether you actually need "Standard" accounts for everybody in your family, you may be able to get away with doing this with FastMail for a little bit less.

This has been discussed elsewhere already in the FastMail forums, but you technically only need one Standard account to host your custom domain. Within that Standard account, you can set up as many aliases to point to other accounts as you like, which means you could get away with having your other two family member accounts be merely "Basic" accounts. These accounts would technically have a "fastmail.com" (or other generic domain address) that mail would be received at, but you could then go to your "Standard" account and set up aliases to redirect messages from any address you choose at your own domain to these "@fastmail.com" Basic accounts. Within those accounts, you'd then configure an "Identity" so that they would send from your domain address rather than their "fastmail.com" address.

This would still run you $110/year for the three accounts, but that's still better than $150/year to have them all as "Standard" accounts, and of course the savings are increased if you add more accounts in this manner.

This is also assuming that you're a "new" FastMail customer. If you already have an older account with FastMail, they're grandfathering those in, for now at least, so you might be paying a bit less if you just keep using your existing Full/Enhanced account rather than migrating to a "Standard" account, and if you have an old Family/Business account that's still active, you can still add more users at the old Lite/Full/Enhanced levels.
Thanks for the detail. My issue with g suite is it's overkill in my opinion for what I want. Also too expensive. Fastmail is really nice but much too expensive for what I need too. I have just checked out net-c and it looks ok and the price is good. In just messing around with it shortly I didn't find it to be too user friendly with certain options like setting up a domain and alias. I am also checking out zoho but like g suite it's a bit of overkill.

I am really frustrated. I simply want email for 3 people using my own domain with 3 separate logins. My account needs some storage but the others can be simple. Honestly G Suite might unfortunately be the way to go.
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote