View Single Post
Old 22 Sep 2020, 04:49 AM   #13
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Subscribing to folders in Thunderbird

The following describes how to use the latest version of Thunderbird (68.12.0) to view and synchronize with all folders in an IMAP account. I don't believe that these instructions have changed over a couple of years, but very old versions of Thunderbird might be different.
  • Collapse then open the IMAP email account name in the tree at the left using the small arrows. Collapsing then opening the folder tree will cause a refresh of the folders known to Thunderbird. So, for example, I can create a new folder using webmail on my Fastmail account, and the new folder will become visible in Thunderbird after I collapse and then reopen the folder tree.
  • Select (click once) the IMAP email account name in the tree at the left. This is the parent of Inbox and your other folders.
  • In the choices you are presented, choose Manage folder subscriptions.
    • Click Refresh. This will pull an updated list of folders and their subscription status from the IMAP server.
    • Be sure that all folders are checked (subscribed).
    • Click OK.
  • In the choices you are presented, choose Offline settings.
    • For the IMAP account you are working on, choose Synchronization & Storage in the tree at the left.
    • In Message Synchronizing, be sure that the checkbox (Keep messages in all folders for this account on this computer) is selected.
      • Then click the Advanced button. All folders other than Junk Mail and Trash should by default be selected for download. Make any desired changes and click OK.
    • In Disk Space you can choose to synchronize all messages or only recent messages. You can also choose to not download large messages. Then you can choose whether to delete older messages.
    • Click OK when finished with your Synchronization & Storage changes.
  • Right-click the IMAP email account name in the tree at the left and choose Get Messages.
    • If you have many previously unsynchronized messages, it many take several minutes (or longer) to download all messages to Thunderbird.
    • You may need to click on a different folder to update the displayed list of messages.
Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote