View Single Post
Old 12 Jun 2017, 07:08 PM   #20
Walter Eagle

Hi

I've been using FastMail for a two or three years, but I've never known anything but the current interface. So I don't have any view on whether this is a retrograde step from what longer terms users previously had. I'm certainly not in the 'power user' category in terms of numbers of mails read and sent each day. I think I've explored whatever customisation is available in Fastmail to get the interface to the best appearance to suit my tastes and requirements. However I'd welcome any comments or advice on issues in this post.

I like Fastmail's commitment to security and privacy, and for this I would accept a trade-off in appearance. However, there are areas where I would love a little extra usability (as I see it), and I can't see that these would compromise either of the key features I mentioned.

I would love to be able to ...
  • Mail: Have the reading pane as a horizontal pane rather than the vertical as it is now. If anyone can suggest a solution, great. Or any reasons why it would be bad practice to have it horizontal?
  • Mail: The ability to add folders 'on the fly' by right-click > Add Folder. Rather than leave Mail, go to Settings, create the folder, back to Mail
  • Calendar: Absolutely would love to be able to search for text in calendar entries. For example, I know I have a regular doctor's appointment later this year, but I can't remember exactly when. I'd like to search for "Doctor".

So, since I want to stick with Fastmail as my mail service provider, does anyone have any experience of using it with non-Fastmail clients like Thunderbird, em Client or others? Do they provide a 'better' interface in anyne's opinion? Any strong recommendations or warnings? All views welcome ...

Thanks and regards
Walter Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote