View Single Post
Old 30 Nov 2020, 08:34 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Do you have a Google Voice number associated with that account? I found that Google automatically added my Google Voice number as a backup phone number. Or, possibly they are picking up your phone number from some other Google product, like an old Hangouts account or something like that. In any case, I have just given Google my phone number and have only had one problem--when I changed my phone number Google insisted on sending login codes to the old number which was no longer under my control. It was difficult to get rid of the old number from the Google account. Moral of the story is to make sure you change any phone numbers on your Google account before getting rid of access to that phone number.
Quote:
What if you put in one that wasnt in service??
I wouldn't do that since you might have a problem like I did where Google insists on only using the phone number to confirm your identity. I had all the other options set up: alternate email address, one-time codes on the authenticator app, the Google prompt on my phone. But, Google would only send codes to my phone number no matter what I did.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote