View Single Post
Old 20 Oct 2020, 02:32 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow An alias can be directly set to be blocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
Here's a quote from Bill from 2014:
Is this still the preferred way to block a particular alias when you have a wildcard at your own domain?
Or is there a better way? Thanks.
Yes, I made that post. See:
https://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?p=568760#post568760

But that was over six years ago, and Fastmail has greatly changed over that period. Now there is a direct way of disabling a particular alias at your domain:
  • Go to the Aliases screen.
  • Edit the alias you wish to block.
  • Enable this setting for that alias:
    Quote:
    Reject (bounce) all mail sent to this address (disable the alias)
    Disable a specific address when you have a wildcard (catch-all) alias.
If messages arrive for that alias, it will appear that it does not exist. This does not generate a "bounce" email to the From address. Instead, that particular alias no longer exists at the domain, so the sending email server will typically generate a 550 SMTP error such as:

Quote:
550 5.1.1 <blocked@example.com>: Recipient address rejected: User
unknown in virtual mailbox table via compute1 (in reply to end of DATA command)
After blocking certain aliases in this manner from a domain with a wildcard alias, there are three possible conditions:
  • Messages sent to aliases which are blocked in this manner will generate a 550 SMTP error, since that email address is invalid. This error will appear in the sending server and will not bother any spoofed From address set by a spammer.
  • Messages sent to listed aliases which are not blocked will be delivered to the delivery address specified in the alias screen.
  • Messages sent to any other alias will be delivered to the Inbox (unless a rule or plus or subdomain address changes the target folder).
I hope this helps. There is no need to use that old trick I described many years ago before the alias feature was improved.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote