View Single Post
Old 18 Mar 2018, 09:17 PM   #14
TenFour
Master of the @

The advertising issue is a lost cause, unless you don't use an ISP, don't use social media, don't use online banking and other services, etc. Personally, I don't see what Google does as particularly intrusive since I can't figure out exactly what is supposedly targeted to me. I don't see any ads in my Inbox because I use the traditional view. I use an ad blocker anyway on my desktop browser. I often use adblock browsers on my phone too. Just for kicks, sometimes I turn off all these blockers and I am surprised how little advertising is actually of any interest to me, so it is hard to imagine I am being influenced in some weird subliminal way. Frankly, I would rather see some ads I am interested in than the garbage I see normally on the Internet.

I don't see how Office 365 is necessarily cheaper than G Suite for domain email. For example, you can pay only $5 a month for basic G Suite with a 30GB storage limit and the full selection of useful apps. The storage limit is much better than it appears if you upload everything and store it in Google's own formats like Docs, Sheets, and Slides. Those files don't count against the storage limit. Combine that with unlimited free photo storage (not at full resolution, but still very good) and the 30GB ends up being a lot of space.

Microsoft also offers Office 365 Business Essentials for only $5 per month that gives you online only versions of Word, Excel, etc., a 50GB Inbox for email, and 1TB of OneDrive storage for everything else. That is a really good deal if you need the online storage. I might check it out, though in the past I have found Microsoft's online domain and email management portals less than intuitive.

Both G Suite and O365 proclaim no scanning for advertising purposes, enhanced security, and also real customer service available via phone, chat, email, etc. IMHO that is the biggest downfall of Gmail--if something goes wrong your only recourse is to hop into the morass of Google's support forums, where most questions are never answered properly if at all. Customer service can easily be worth $5 per month if your email is important to you.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote