Thread: Spam
View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2014, 08:54 PM   #30
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmus View Post
...I just check it as not spam, i think it should be enough to mark it as not spam in the future, am i right or wrong?...
Look at the full email headers of a spammy message (More > Show Raw Message). The X-Spam-hits header shows the spam indicator scores which add up to the X-Spam-score. The spam button (and spam learning for messages left in the Spam/Junk Mail folder at least one day) only affects the Bayes indicators. On the Advanced>Spam/Virus Protection screen you can see your protection level. The default Normal setting filters messages with X-Spam-score >5 into your Spam folder. At the bottom of the page you can see if your User Bayes filter is active.

Messages are filed into the Spam folder when they are received at your account. So the spam button only affects future messages, and the only affect is on your Bayes score in User Bayes mode. If a message was otherwise non-spammy and only your use of the Report Spam button affects the spam score, then at this time the spam report can only set the score to 4.7, so since this is less than 5 that can't cause spam filtering by itself. Usually the Bayes score includes many other spam indicators for spam messages, and the Report Spam button only adds to the existing score.

If you place the email addresses of common correspondents in your online Address Book, you can use Aggressive or Custom spam filtering and lower your spam filter threshold. You should only do this if you commonly receive spam in your Inbox folder and use address book whitelisting.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote