View Single Post
Old 15 May 2023, 08:49 AM   #400
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by triyck13 View Post
Hi all - I recently started my 'degoogle' journey (well, half a journey at least). I stumbled over Fastmail, tried it now for 10 days in various situations and all the functionality I need. Created a detailed documents with feature description, pros & cons. I love it!!! Signed up for three years. Got myself a trash domain for random online sites. Aliases are fantastic. The whole UX I like much better than Gmail - I'm a Gmail poweruser, having been with them since the inception, using it at work since a decade as well. FM has a much better flow for me, and the functionality is top notch. There's a few minor things I don't like, most importantly the calendar integration (to be fair, Google is to blame here as well not allowing to easily share with non Google users etc.).

On the whole privacy topic: I don't mind it. Yeah, maybe the government or someone else will get a warrant and be able to read my emails. So be it, if that's the case, I'm anyway in serious trouble and should never have used email. I honestly don't care about that. PGP I don't care about either, it only helps if my contacts support it as well. So yeah, that's my personal view. What I worry about is Google soaking up all the info they can about me (that I gave them 'willingly'), and it being shared with other parties I don't know about.

Next I'll be looking into Sieve, RegEx filters etc. ...
Glad to hear it. I've been a paying customer since Q1 2003. Wow... 20+ years now. Not looking back. You'll enjoy the service. I sure have. I use DAVx to sync calendars and contacts to my phones, and a host of their other services. I gather emails and calendars from multiple different jobs here, and manage it all in Fastmail. Even have it set up to send emails through those other domains so that various companies have a record of emails I send. Again, everything's here in Fastmail and it just works.

Welcome to the club.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote