View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 2020, 06:34 AM   #24
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Angry Even More Data Loss!

NO action so far at all addresses the MAJOR INCORRECT documentation problems I have been highlighting and asking about!
... but I appreciate the personal response, Bill. (Frustration, pointed questions, etc. not directed at you for responding & helping!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
The old system sent you an email after the messages were restored to the temporary folder tree which was automatically created.

The current [<cough> -elvey] system doesn't do that. You do not get any emails telling you the operation completed. Here is how it works [<cough> -elvey] - I just tested this in my account:
  • I deleted a draft. You must explicitly do this by selecting the draft message and choosing the Discard Draft button.
Interesting - so a draft discarded by trashing it (and emptying the trash) doesn't cut it! (Unconfirmed.) I see.
Quote:
  • Go to Settings>Restore and select Discarded drafts.
  • I then chose Deleted in the last 1 hour. You are then shown how many drafts will be restored.
  • Select Do It. You are shown a confirmation.
  • Look at the bottom of the folder tree for the Restored messages saved search. That will search for the search string keyword:$restored.
This could sure be better documented. For me, this search (direct link: fastmail.com/mail/search: keyword:$restored in:* ) finds 0 messages. Even though I have provided support screen shots proving the system attempted to restore some messages it had indicated it would be able to restore.
That indicates ANOTHER bug. [Monday Update: I did a test deletion and restore and the search above found the just-restored messages (only), not 0 messages, so sometimes it works. Also, if I go back to settings, the Restore screen is displayed; it has green check-marks and shows Done, but also "1 message will be restored." The "will" confuses the user. Another bug!] Man, this is a CLUSTER bomb of a changeset!
And it's a totally STILL NOT announced changeset AFAIK.
Quote:
  • The results of the most recent restore operation (only) are shown. The messages are restored to the folder they were in when they were discarded.
Bill
So the keyword is removed at some point? When, Why? Totally NOT documented!?!?

And good questions, JeremyNicoll!

As I said above, Bill,

Quote:
(FYI: Repeated undo's haven't worked to get the content back.).
That was by shaking to undo. I will surely end up trying Ctrl-Z next time I get bitten by this clipboard bug. I wonder if its a bug in Neil / Fastmail's Squire or https://github.com/fastmail/overture/. (https://github.com/neilj/Squire)

Last edited by elvey : 15 Sep 2020 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Add LIST BBcode to fix formatting caused by broken-up list.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote