Thread: Blacklisted IP
View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2022, 03:11 AM   #27
Rich_A

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDavis View Post
How is your granddaughter? Any news with the emails?
Maybe you can try and check out https://securitygladiators.com/chang...other-country/ , since they cover how to get a fake IP and change your IP address, maybe that will help with your blacklist-related issue.
Sorry to sorta "disappear" for so long. Had multiple personal problems here and for several months computers etc. needed to be put on a back burner while we took care of more important things.

Thanks for kind wishes etc. and our granddaughter survived a several month medical battle and is now fully recovered and doing well.

AND I recently solved my IP address problem. I'll give a synopsis of what happened recently regarding that blacklisted IP problem that I hope may help others.

For "years" I could not get my IP address to change.

Aboout a month ago, we needed to turn in our old 3G cell phones and get more modern units because our Cell provider was upgrading to 5G and our old 3g phones would no longer work. So decided to get a couple "smart phones". I wanted to take advantage of using the WiFi connectivity of the smart phones for various things but my in house computer environment had NO WifI connections.

My modem and router were all gigabit and latest docsis etc. Specitically the router was a robust 10 port thing that was bought for it's superior mechnanical grounding and RF sealed case. As a ham radio op I have a lot of sensitive radio equipment and had some problems with RF interference from modems and routers running at gigabit or higher speeds. So I replaced all the equipment and wirng with well designed, sheilded and grounded stuff ... This reduced the RF interference to my VHF and higher radio frequencies dramatically.

But that good working fast and well sheilded router was a straight wired only (no wifi) unit. And we needed WiFi for our new smart phones. So I got a new router with multiple wired gigabit lan connections and a great fast Wifi connection. Nice unit and the wifi is great and FAST ( almost 300 MB/s average) BUT the RF noise is back. Sigh. (Still looking at that problem) ..

HOWEVER, this time, after installing the new router .. our IP address was changed (as I expected) BUT this time it STAYED changed. In the past, if I removed the old router for even days and reinstalled it from scratch the OLD IP address would magically re-appear. And for years it would always come back like a static IP no matter what I did..

The problem (I'm guessing) is there was something built into the old router that was storing the IP address, possibly in some kind of non-volitile memory Eprom or something. There was a procedure to wipe all settings from that old router to set everything back to the factory default. I'm (again guessing) that something was wrong because I could NEVER get it back to factory defaults. The router in question WAS a kinda complicated thing (A Microtik router) and duriing the last conversation I had with the factory they said I should send it back. Well it was operating fine .. fast .. no RF problems so I just lived with it as was until I could get around to getting something to use while waiting for a repair. .

So I've now replaced it, and with the "new" router in place .. we of course were automatically assigned a new IP address and no more problems. Suddenly ALL the web sites I was being denied access to are now once again available to me. No problem with my IP address being blocked any more.

By the way .. before I completely replaced the old router I tried installing a 2nd small WiFi router in line with the old router so we could connect to the web with our new smart phones. That worked fine and we had WIFI capability (slow but worked OK) BUT of course the bad IP address was still causing problems. That's when I decided to invest in a newer combo wired with WIFI router which is now working great.

So I want thank everone with their help here. This problem was a head scratcher for me. My expertise is not in the networking area but I do have a good background in electronics ..

FWIW, the new router unfortunately has a plastic housing .. the internal circuitry is still radiating some hash on some of the VHF radio frequencies. Am looking at solutions for that. But that old Microtik router although working well, had a problem and looked to me like it was somehow "storing" that bad IP address somewhere ?? I "should" have been able to do a hard reset procedure to clear everything .. but that never worked and I'm "pretty sure" I was doing it correctly. (famous last words) <grin>
Rich_A is offline   Reply With Quote