View Single Post
Old 27 Mar 2024, 01:32 PM   #1
truemagic

Benefit of aliases versus custom domain

Ok I've been struggling to find reasons to stick to my custom domain but always back to the same argument, would I be comfortable to give out my random_words@example.com to a shopping/newsletters/spam sites as opposed to giving other_alias@proton.me or other_alias@skiff.com or other_alias@tuta.com to those unknowingly suspicious sites that you're going to signup for ?

For me I'm more comfortable of giving out aliases from email provider because it can never be traced back to my primary email address (me@proton.me). On the other hand it feels unsafe of giving out alias with my custom domain because I could be receiving spam on my catch-all if they've my domain regardless whether my primary address is me@mycustomdomain.com.

Assumptions: Let's not include forwarding service like Addy.io or simplelogin in the discussion, and let's say catch-all has to be enabled for my custom domain for convenience purpose. Based on these assumptions, are you comfortable of giving out your email address to, for example, StackSocial or Appsumo? Not accusing them for sending spam, but they do send out offers EVERY single day so it feels unsafe to give out email with my custom domain for these sites.

What's your opinion on this? Do you always use your custom domain for signing up every site or do you use the aliases by email provider?
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote