View Single Post
Old 12 Dec 2010, 07:18 AM   #54
TimW

Why Tuffmail won't work for me

Dear aleinss,

Although Tuffmail does perform as you have specified with inbound e-mails, I could not figure out how to send an e-mail without giving up my root e-mail address in the header. Emailias and Spamex and e4ward clients have come to expect this ability. As well as the ability to change the target email address for all ailiases linked to a given real email address as a group in the event you change ISPs or some spammer actually finds your root address or for some other reason.

In addition, although Tuffmail appeared to have very good spam filtering algorithms (also customizable by inbound alias), the point of never giving up your root e-mail address, even via outbound e-mails, is not only so that you are a moving target to spammers, but also so you never have to wade through a spam folder.

This issue of replying or even of originating a message to an e-mail alias without giving up my root e-mail address is the part I could not figure out. If there is a way to do this I am interested. (Emailias also offered file management tools to deal with having hundreds of disposable e-mail addresses which I will probably discuss in a different post. However emailias users are going to really miss those utilities. I know I do.)

Tuffmail seemed like such a good idea I spent a week investigating it, delaying setting my e-mail system up. Worth a shot!

Also, I completely agree with figuring out how to get you own domain and then figuring out how to point your Domain Name System MX records (telling the Domain Name System which mail service is going to handle the e-mail for your site) to your e-mail service provider of choice. 250ish e-mail addresses went up in smoke for me when emailias disappeared. Never again. Also, this time I am keeping track of my own aliases, usernames, passwords, notes, URLs, and everything else that emailias did so well, (Dandy job Paul!) myself... along with automatic backups.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote