View Single Post
Old 6 Jan 2017, 08:27 AM   #2
Steven Avery

first go the economy namecheap route with POP download

I use Namecheap for Domain Registration and have a good personal name registered <my-first-last-name.biz> .

Alternately, I could register a longer <my-first-middle-last>-name.com. Would that look classier on the actual email addy?

====

On email hosting, now it looks like my basic choices are simply to get the Namecheap package for about $10/yr.

NameCheap
https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email.aspx

Or go to Runbox, POBox, Fastmail or one of the others using the same domain name, for a bit more .. (Runbox seems to give the first two years for the price of one). I should check to see if Gmail will be a good option to take a rinky-dink personal account like this where you bring the domain (not a full-blown Gsuite or Biz acct.)

If my goal is 99.9% simply POP download, there might not be much of a difference. I'm thinking of starting with Namecheap and then possibly switching, if there seems to be some significant advantages, after a little trial of the super-economy mode. I may have my big $10 investment at stake if I switch early. It would be a test of the super-economy mode for friends who might like a permanent email for $10/yr (if they already have a sensible domain) or about $20/year with a new domain.

Since I am going to POP download, there won't be any active mail anyway on the Namecheap at the time of the switch.

Namecheap support is LiveAgent type of stuff, seems reasonably decent for this purpose.

My alternative is to go directly to Runbox, Fastmail or such, without passing Go, without stopping at Namecheap.Gmail too, if they are in that game.

Am I making sense?

Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery : 6 Jan 2017 at 08:41 AM.
Steven Avery is offline   Reply With Quote