View Single Post
Old 13 Apr 2020, 02:17 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folio View Post
The internet certainly felt like a different place back then. I have one of those eu.org domains that I’ve used for years for side projects, and I wonder how many of those domains are still being actively used. Another free subdomain service that is still around is afraid.org.
Afraid.org is still going, though I cannot see from which domains they offer subdomains. I can't find my way around that website.

eu.org is still going, but the website seems to not have been updated in ages. So I am not sure if registering a subdomain.eu.org is still going smoothly, and if the contacts for support are still functioning.

nl.nu is another service still existing, but apparently not being maintained and updated in ages. I'm not even sure if signing up for a subdomain.nl.nu is still possible.

V3.com seems to be gone. They were the provider of domains such as surf.to, go.to, i.am, ... where you would choose the name behind the / afte the domain. Several friends of mine had a website i.am/their-name

The internet is certainly a very different place compared to 15 years ago. Real domainnames becoming available for a very affordable price is of course a very good evolution. Back in the early 2000s the likes of .tk, .be.tf, go.to/, etc were often used because real domains were a lot more expensive than they are now.
And if you wanted a free online presence, you relied on the likes of Yahoo Groups or MSN communities. Although I guess there were options like Geocities too for a more proper website.

The internet evolved a lot, but I sometimes get nostalgic for those old days. Probably because those old days are strongly connection with my early twenties, an age when you feel like everything is possible and you have an entire life ahead of you
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote