View Single Post
Old 11 May 2008, 08:48 AM   #7
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrabismus View Post
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. From what I've heard, all the cases of people sharing private files have been due to the user explicitly selecting their personal folders, or entire drives, for sharing. .
Not an exaggeration... If you want to take the chance, that is up to you. These programs are not secure. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Quote:
I don't know much about the older proprietary clients, which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole, but I don't think something like eMule is particularly insecure. The real problem is people that are willing to run or install unknown software willy-nilly. The example above is a case in point, nothing bad happens in downloading the file, or attempting to view it, it's installing the codec/player that causes the problems.
Agree... that is the problem.. unfortunately, when people are looking for a program they don't want pay for, then they install programs and hacks that automatically place spyware/malware, etc, on their computer. Or even a file they think contains music or anything else... As I mentioned in another thread, kids are the targets....

Quote:
I suspect that if you were to look at modern infected machines you would find that 90% had been used on social-networking sites; it doesn't imply a causal relationship.
Modern infected machines? What does that mean? Nevermind...

I have looked at many different types of machines... ... I think years of working on computers and noticing a pattern would count for something. I Find Your Lack of Faith Disturbing.

I remember an ex competitor of mine told me once he would install bearshare, and other fileshare programs back on the computers at the owners request. He said that was a guarantee they would be back.

People in the industry look at this as a joke....

Let me give you guys/gals your thread back before someone gets upset I'm attacking their use of a fileshare programs.... just be careful people... if you must download copyrighted material using these programs, then at least use a spare computer or use in a virtual pc.

Good luck to you all. May the force be with you.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote