View Single Post
Old 5 Feb 2018, 12:53 AM   #11
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I have found Gmail and Outlook.com forwarding to be reliable, though some people seem to think that traditional forwarding is broken due to everyone tightening the screws on things like DMARC. I would test it out and watch it carefully at first until you know it is bringing over all your email, and periodically spot check the old email Inbox (keep a copy in Gmail).
This is excellent advice, and what I also would recommend. Please also check your spam folder on Gmail, as Gmail does not forward messages it categorizes as spam.

I have found that forwarding is only "broken" because of DMARC, for certain pairs of hosts. Fox example, if you attempt to forward from outlook.com (or hotmail etc.) to Gmail, some messages will be refused by Gmail (it's actually outlook.com's fault, as it does not preserve DKIM at present). But forwarding the opposite direction should work well, as Gmail does not break DKIM.

Forwarding from Gmail to Fastmail should always work properly, except in any cases where Gmail misidentifies an email as spam ("false positive"). But check your Fastmail spam folder from time to time as well as Gmail's. And do not set your Fastmail spam settings to discard email at any level of spam score. Fastmail is a "universal receiver" (kind of like someone with AB positive blood type, a "universal recipient") in the sense that it won't drop email because of a DMARC failure, though that might raise the spam score to the point where your discard rule will do so.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote