View Single Post
Old 12 Sep 2003, 07:33 PM   #9
m-t

Re: New compose screen trial

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
... To this end, we are now hiding a number of options if you only have 1 'personality' (which new users start with by default). ... You can hide the quick list at any time by clicking the [ X ] link to the top left of the Quick List area. You can show it again by clicking the 'Show Quick List' link that appears when it is hidden. ...
In all probability, I suspect, the people who set up more than one personality also are the ones who would be most likely to make regular use of the advanced buttons, and vice versa. Therefore I think the criterion is sound and the plan excellent. Beyond those 80% or so, those few users who want a very simple interface simply for its own sake also will have by this means a way to have what they want. The [ X ] on the quick list will provide yet another step for these people. By this point, it seems the compose page would become simple enough short of going back to chisels and stone tablets.

I do think it would be good though if somewhere in the Help pages a note were included naming the display differences between the single personality and multiple personality modes, such as has been set forth in this forum. Indeed were it not for me having been made aware of these compose-page display differences here at the forum, I frankly do not know that I would be smart enough to notice the presence or non-presence of the "format" button, for example. On the other hand, those other things still are available in the "Do Action" menu, and so it isn't like they actually are no longer there, and so maybe that isn't a necessary concern.

By the way the automatic floating "mechanism" for setting the order of the quick list is another ideal method, as far as I'm concerned.
m-t is offline   Reply With Quote