View Single Post
Old 19 Jun 2020, 02:04 AM   #19
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
You can (kind of) suppress the code by not setting any rules using the UI and writing them yourself.
Of course but that may be a bit of overkill!

Quote:
...the "old" system as it allowed me to do more sophisticated things...
Precisely and in addition IMO for some rules that contain multiple repetitive conditions (the UI's "All" or "Any") they are usually much easier to read/edit as opposed to the way the UI generates. The UI's code doesn't factor out the anyof/allof conditions. But for single simple conditions the UI is good enough.

Quote:
...and I merely copy/paste'd them into the new system - works fine.
Not sure why you had to do the copy/paste. When the ability to switch was still there I did all my sieve code editing in the "old" sieve (switched to "new" every once in a while to see what FM was doing to their own code but then switched back). In anticipation of the switch to "new" becoming "official" I switched to the "new" a few days in advance when they warned of the final date. Then when it became official they removed the ability to switch back to the "old" but my code was still there.

The reason I did the switch to "new" in advance was because I wasn't sure what was going to happen when they "shut" the door on going back to the "old". Were they going to map the "old" sieve code into the "new" (not possible for those that had code in the "old" middle edit blocks) as if you did the switch explicitly yourself or were they going to just start off with the base-line code with only the UI generated rules added (thus losing your own code additions)? Turns out if you were already using the "new" when they removed the ability to go back they simply used whatever you currently had so no copy/paste was necessary. For me it wouldn't have mattered too much anyway because I always keep a backup of my current sieve script (using "copy to clipboard" button at the top of the sieve script) and could of then pasted in from that.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote