View Single Post
Old 1 Feb 2017, 11:24 PM   #28
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony17112acst View Post
With my Freehostia setup, they do not provide the SMTP service at my service level (free). I could send with their SMTP if I upgraded and paid a monthly fee. So I do use pop3 to grab all email.
Okay, I get what you're saying. They basically expect you to use your ISP's SMTP server. Do they have any webmail functionality at all?

Quote:
Also, Wow that's good info to know ...I didn't know blacklists were for receiving!
Blacklists are sometimes used for receiving email. The fact that Freehosita is on one would be a bit of a concern to me if I were a user of their service, but again if you're not sending through their SMTP services (either from a client or via webmail), it shouldn't really affect you directly.

Again, nobody should really be using blacklists to determine who to send mail to. Doesn't mean they can't do that, just that it doesn't make a lot of sense. The purpose of a blacklist is to identity which mail servers are sources of spam or other illegitimate messages, which (like DMARC and SPF) would only be relevant for receiving messages from those servers.

Quote:
Also, with that blacklist being only 7 days old, my problem has been since Jan 1st (4.5 weeks now), so hopefully it's not the problem.
Well, 7 days is the normal expiry range — if no "bad" activity is detected within 7 days, it's cleared off. It's not impossible that this window gets extended if there's a recurring problem.

Quote:
I did let the Technician at Comcast know that Godaddy doesn't have a DMARC record and I get Comcast email there fine AND I let them know that I created valid DMARC and SPF records. He just sent me an email from his gmail account asking for headers from that suiccessful email ...so hopefully he's off the DMARC thing (which he berated me for challenging).
Well, that's at least more useful progress that suggests they're looking into it instead of just dishing out canned responses that sound like they're just trying to get rid of you.

Again, it's not impossible for Comcast to be looking at DMARC records or blacklists when sending. IMHO, it would be pretty silly of them to do so, but it wouldn't be out of the question — especially in the case of blacklists; the lack of a DMARC record doesn't say the mail system is "bad" whereas a blacklist entry definitely is a red flag that something is wrong.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote