View Single Post
Old 4 Apr 2008, 09:47 AM   #3
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi shelmart,

First, I'm glad you disabled the "reject if possible" option. The Runbox Help states the following for this filter option:

Quote:
Reject if possible
When activated, this option causes the system to reject any email presumed to be spam, before it is accepted by our servers. You will never see the email, and it will if possible send a rejection notification to the sender. In some cases rejection will not be technically possible, and the email will instead be filtered to your spam folder.

! It is strongly advised that users do not use this feature. Because of the nature of the feature it is more likely to reject valid messages that were misclassified as spam than it is to reject spam.

! Rejecting messages may cause problems with mailinglists such as Yahoo! Groups since it will bounce the message back to the group.
The "reject if possible" option relies on the SpamAssassin (the non-trainable spam filter) evaluation of the message. SpamAssassin uses a number of industry blacklists to check the sending servers status. If the sending server was blacklisted it could have caused your messages to be rejected. This could be one reason why messages from a given address could have suddenly stopped arriving. I've seen a number of times in the past year that messages sent to Runbox support where flagged as spam because the user's ISP servers were blacklisted.

Second, it takes a while for the DSPAM trainable spam filter to become effective. It doesn't simply "whitelist" addresses ... it uses the whole message to statistically determine if the message is spam. It takes a bit of training for it to become effective. So keep using the "Spam" and "Not Spam" links. Training is something you should be doing all the time for a trainable filter to become and stay effective.

Finally, you have a number of Blacklisted addresses and Filters that say to "delete" the message. These can very dangerous because if they match on a message that wasn't spam you'd never know it.

Instead, let the spam filters deal with them. If you created the filters because the spam filters weren't catching them then it would be better to move them to a "possible spam" folder. Then you could skim through the messages to see if any were not spam. Then use the "Spam" link to train the rest as spam. By just deleting them the DSPAM trainable spam folder will never know it misclassified those types of message and will probably keep making the same mistakes.

Your Whitelist and Address Book (which works like a whitelist) only effect the spam filter scorings. They have no effect on the user filter processing.

I hope that helps. If you still have problems we may need to look into the details of some of the messages you're having troubles receiving. I would suggest you submit a Support Ticket for that since we will need detailed information.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote